Celebrate Burns Night on 25 January with a recipe from Sue Lawrence’s book – A Taste of Scotland’s Islands – for a wonderful Burns Supper in a bowl, from the Harris Gin Distillery
- 25g butter
- 2 large onions, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 turnip (swede), peeled and chopped into chunks
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 2.5-3 litres vegetable stock
- 500g haggis
- 1 dram of the finest whisky
In a large pot, melt the butter and sweat off your onions until translucent. Add your potatoes and vegetable stock and leave to boil until tender. Blend the soup, adding more stock or boiling water if needed, but the soup should remain quite thick for the haggis to sit on top of it.
Cube the haggis and fry off in a pan until crumby in texture and cooked through. Spoon the soup into bowls and top with a generous scoop of haggis. Serve with fresh bread or oatcakes – and the optional dram!